Donate to Hurricane Recovery

Fair Housing FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

I believe that I may have experienced discrimination when I was looking for housing. How can I file a complaint?

You can file a complaint with the North Carolina Human Relations Commission. Please call the Commission at (919) 807-4420 or toll free at (866) 324-7474.

Can a housing provider refuse to rent a property to applicants because they have children?

A housing provider cannot refuse to rent to applicants solely because they have children, unless the apartment complex meets the criteria for senior housing (55+ and 62+).

Is a real estate brokerage firm in violation of the fair housing laws if one of its employees or agents commits unlawful discrimination?


What happens if I file a complaint?

If the residential real estate is located in North Carolina, the North Carolina Human Relations Commission will investigate to determine whether unlawful discrimination has occurred.