Brunswick County Public Utilities
250 Grey Water Road NE (Utilities Operations Center)
Supply, NC 28462
BID Due Time 4:30 pm
Bid Due Date 09/23/2019
BID Location Street Address 250 Grey Water Road NE (Utilities Operations Center)
State North Carolina
Project Title Request for Qualifications (RFQ): Utilities Operations Center Expansion
Project Location Street Address 250 Grey Water Road NE (Utilities Operations Center)
State North Carolina
Scope of Work
The County of Brunswick is requesting qualifications to design and build an expansion to our existing Utilities Operations Center located at 250 Grey Water Road NE, Supply, NC 28462, as a design-build project (the “Project”) as more fully described in the Scope of Work attached hereto as Exhibit 1 and incorporated herein by reference. Any changes to the Scope of Work or specifications will be made in the form of an Addendum to this Request for Qualifications and will be supplied to all potential design-builders. The Brunswick County Utilities Operations Center was completed in 2010, and the design of the Center included future building expansion areas. Based on growth of the utility, Brunswick County desires to expand the metal building into one of these areas. It is estimated that the expanded building area will be no less than 2,300 SF to be used for offices, meeting room space, and storage. Approximately 15 or more offices are anticipated. The original building plan designated two potential future expansion areas; location #1 expands the east side of the original building approximately 2,300 SF and location #2 designates an expansion area on the west side. Location #2 is to be a separate detached building with possible covered walkway between buildings (see Appendix A). The County wishes to maximize the area of the building if location #2 is utilized, but only 2,300 SF must be finished. The County wishes to utilize the most cost-effective location and approach. The design-builder will be responsible for complete design, permitting, construction, and all associated fees.
The current building, site, and as-built drawings may be viewed/visited by appointment, Monday-Friday between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.
Those interested in being considered for this work should submit Statements of Qualifications (“SOQs”) to:
Post Office Delivery
Brunswick County Public Utilities
P. O. Box 249
Bolivia, NC 28422
Hand Delivery or Alternate Shipping Service
Utilities Operations Center
250 Grey Water Road NE
Supply, NC 28462
Except as otherwise noted, responses to this request for qualifications should be bound, and sections should be divided by tabs that indicate the title of each section. For consideration, five (5) hard copies (including one unbound original suitable for photocopying) and one (1) electronic version in .pdf format on CD of the response to this request for qualifications must be submitted to the County by close of business (4:30 p.m.) on September 23, 2019. Responses must be submitted in a sealed envelope clearly marked with the Project name. Brunswick County will not be responsible for the failure of any mail or delivery service to deliver responses prior to the stated date and time. Regardless of the manner of submission, any response received after the stated date and time will not be considered. Incomplete responses or responses inconsistent with the required format may be disqualified from consideration.
A more detailed description of the work to be performed is contained in the Scope of Work. Design-builders submitting qualification statements should use the Scope of Work as a guide but may develop their own Scope of Work based upon their experiences on similar projects. The County will negotiate and refine a final Scope of Work with the selected design-builder. The design-builder’s final contract shall be based on a lump sum amount, inclusive of permit application fees and other expenses (printing, mileage, per diem, etc.). No additional compensation shall be made for reimbursable items.
Statement of Qualifications Content
At a minimum, SOQs must contain:
1. Company information. The company’s full legal name, primary office location, years of experience and contact person.
2. Qualifications of the employees who will be assigned to the Project. The Project manager, licensed design professionals, licensed contractors, licensed subcontractors, and other key team members should be clearly identified. If subcontractors are to be used for any portion of the work, they should be identified along with the design-builder’s strategy for selecting contractors or subcontractors based on the requirements of Article 8 of Chapter 143. Design-builder must be able to certify that each licensed design professional who is a member of the team, including subconsultants, was selected based on “demonstrated competence and qualifications” under the qualifications-based selection process of the Mini-Brooks Act (G.S.143-64.31).
3. Experience on similar projects. The response should include a description and contact person for projects that were similar in size and scope as this Project.
4. A Project schedule for design through completion of construction including key milestones should be included. The Project schedule should start from the Notice to Proceed and include, at minimum, two-week intervals for County staff reviews. A Project schedule will be included in the contract for this work. The schedule shall reflect a substantial completion date of August 15, 2020, or 365 days from Notice to Proceed, whichever is later.
5. A brief description of the Project approach to be used by the design-builder should be included.
6. A brief discussion of the design-builder’s ability to properly scope the Project should be included. This includes an estimate of man-hours required to complete the various components of the Project. Man-hour estimates should be broken down by tasks with separate columns for labor classifications. Each task shall be subtotaled in addition to Project totals.
7. Information to demonstrate the current financial capacity of the organization. Brunswick County reserves the right to request additional financial information for any design-builder in order to support the viability of the design-builder.
Design-build firms must meet the minimum criteria set forth below. Firms that do not meet the criteria are automatically disqualified.
1. Designers must have a current North Carolina Architectural and/or Engineering license(s), as appropriate, for their portion of the design work. A copy of the license(s) is to be provided to Brunswick County with the SOQ.
2. Builders must have a current North Carolina Contractor’s license with an unlimited building classification for the construction portion of the Project. A copy of the license is to be provided to Brunswick County with the SOQ.
3. Lead design-build firm must be able to procure a Builder’s Risk Insurance Policy for the Project with coverage equal to the total cost of the Project.
4. Lead design-build firm must agree to procure and maintain insurance for the duration of the contract, including, but not necessarily limited to, the insurance set forth on Brunswick County’s Minimum Insurance Requirements attached hereto as Exhibit 2. The lead design-build firm shall provide Brunswick County with certificates of insurance for each type of insurance described therein. Brunswick County reserves the right to negotiate different limits and coverage in the final contract.
Qualifications Selection Criteria and Weighting
The County will review responses based on the criteria listed below:
Qualifications Selection - Criteria Qualifications Selection Criteria - Weighting
Overall Experience 30
Team’s Previous Success on Similar Projects 20
Understanding of Owner’s Needs and Scope of Work 20
Budget Constraints 20
Total Points 100
Brunswick County reserves the right to refuse or reject any or all qualifications and to waive any and all formalities, irregularities, or technicalities. Brunswick County reserves the right to select the design-builder that best meets its needs and to negotiate a final Scope of Work that reflects the work to be done within the budget constraints. Based upon the number of responses received, the County may subsequently request oral presentations as a part of the selection process. All design-builders submitting a qualification statement will receive notification once the contract has been awarded.
Brunswick County will not be responsible for any costs or expenses incurred by any design-builder in submitting a response. Brunswick County reserves the right to cancel the work described herein prior to the issuance and acceptance of any contractual agreement even if the Board of Commissioners has formally accepted the recommendation.
Performance and Payment Bonds
The design-builder will be required to provide performance and payment bonds for 100% of the contract amount in accordance with the provisions of Article 3 of Chapter 44A of the North Carolina General Statutes.
Form of Agreement
In addition to the terms and conditions contained in this Request for Qualifications, by submitting a response, if selected, the design-builder agrees to enter into and be bound by the provisions of a Construction or Repair Agreement in substantially the form attached hereto as Exhibit 3 and incorporated herein by reference. To the extent that any of the terms of this Request for Qualifications and the terms of the Construction or Repair Agreement conflict, then the terms of the Construction or Repair Agreement shall prevail. No work shall commence until an agreement has been fully executed by the parties.
Minority Business Enterprise Policy
Design-builder shall acknowledge and provide a good-faith effort to meet the Minority Business Enterprise (MBE) goals for the Project. Design builders are notified of N.C.G.S. 143-128.2 and the “Brunswick County Minority Enterprise Policy” requirement for a verifiable goal of five percent (5%) for MBE participation.
Preliminary Estimate/Anticipated Project Budget
Brunswick County has a preliminary estimate of $590,000 for completion of this Project including all costs and fees. Total costs include, but are not limited to, all construction-related expenses; all design- and construction-related services; testing services; permit fees; and other building-related professional service fees necessary to fully complete the Project.
If you have any questions, please call us at (910) 253-2627.
Scope of Work & Supporting Documents: https://www.brunswickcountync.gov/request-for-qualifications-rfq-utilit…
Project Information URL http://www.brunswickcountync.gov/info/bid/
Pre-Bid Meeting No