Parking FAQs

Employees Departments GoPass Visitors


Who is eligible for a parking assignment?

Benefits-eligible employees assigned to work stations within the Downtown State Government Complex who work at least 30 hours each week have priority for parking assignments.  Temporary employees, contractors, pages, and interns are eligible for parking assignments in certain facilities, subject to availability.

How do I obtain a parking assignment?

Employees should work with their Parking Coordinator to request parking. If parking is not available, the employee may be placed on a waiting list.

How do I pay for my parking?

Parking fees must be paid through payroll deduction. If an employee cannot be payroll deducted, exceptions may be made.

What happens if I need to take extended leave?

Employees are responsible for making monthly payments for parking when they are on extended leave. Payments may be made by check if the employee is not receiving pay during this time. The maximum length of time an employee may continue to pay and maintain their parking while on extended leave is 90 days.

May I sublease my space?

No. Employees are not permitted to sublease their parking space. If you know of any employee that is subleasing their space, it is important that you let someone at that State Parking Division know. You can reach us at (984) 236-0190.

How do I access my parking if it is in an underground garage?

Employees who are assigned parking to one of the gated garages will have the corresponding credential (hang tag) assigned.  No one will be given access to gated parking areas without approval from State Parking.

Can I move to a more convenient space?

Due to the constraints of the parking system and overall limited availability, convenience transfers are not permitted.

Will I get a refund if I terminate my parking?

Parking leases must be scheduled to terminate at the end of the month. Employees should contact their Parking Coordinator to ensure their leases are terminated on this schedule. Monthly payroll deductions for parking are applied to the current month. Therefore, employees must ensure that their Parking Coordinator is provided the necessary information before the end of a payroll period so the employee will not be charged for the following month.

What do I do if someone is parked in my assigned space or I cannot access my space?

Here are the steps you should take:

  1. Do not park in someone else's space.
  2. Park in one of the three visitor parking areas, advise your Parking Coordinator of the situation being sure to let them know which visitor area you are parking in. Note: your parking will only be validated if you tow the offending vehicle.
  3. Your Parking Coordinator will then provide the State Parking Division your name and notify them that you are parking in a visitor area.
  4. If applicable, contact the State Capitol Police to have the vehicle towed. Note: your parking will only be validated if you tow the offending vehicle.
  5. Once you have been notified that you can return to your space, please do so immediately.
  6. In order to get your visitor’s parking pass validated you must:
    1. Have your Parking Coordinator inform the State Parking Division that you are parking in a visitor’s area.
    2. Have the offending vehicle towed (if applicable)
    3. Return to your assigned parking space within two hours of the incident being resolved.
    4. Upon leaving the visitor parking area, you must provide the booth attendant with your name so they will know to validate your ticket.

If I park in a zoned permit lot and my permit is not displayed, will my vehicle be towed?

It is possible. Vehicles registered in the State Parking Division’s database will be given two warnings before they are towed. If the vehicle’s information is not registered with the State Parking Division, it will be towed without warning at the owner’s expense.

What information do I need to register with the State Parking Division?

We ask for your vehicle’s make, model, color, year, and license plate number. This information is kept confidential and is shared only between the Parking Division staff and your Parking Coordinator.

Where do I go to register my vehicle(s)?

You can provide this information to your Parking Coordinator. However, you can also email the State Parking Division at with the requested information.

What do I do if my car is towed?

If your car is towed, contact State Capitol Police at (919) 733-3333. They will provide you with the information required to claim your vehicle.

Does the State Parking Division earn any revenue when vehicles are towed?

No. The State Parking Division does not receive any funds when illegally parked vehicles are towed. Towing fees go directly to the towing companies.

What will happen to my parking if I am parked in one of the lots affected by development or construction?

State Parking makes every effort to relocate displaced employees to other available parking spaces within the system. Departmental Parking Coordinators are provided space allocations for displaced employees and assign these employees new parking locations.



Can departments obtain assigned parking space for a department vehicle?

Departments are ordinarily allowed one parking space for departmental use. All State owned vehicles should park in Lot 34.  Departments not located within the Downtown State Government Complex are not assigned parking.

Can departments obtain assigned parking for visitors?

No. Visitor should be directed to the visitor parking areas.

What arrangements can be made for parking of boards and commissions?

Departments may purchase two-hour, four-hour and daily visitor passes for their board and commission members.

What parking options are available for volunteers?

Volunteers are considered visitors and may either pay visitor parking rates, or the department may purchase visitor passes for its volunteers.

What parking options are available for pages and interns?

Depending on availability, pages and interns may request parking from the State Parking Division in certain facilities. They should contact their agency’s parking coordinator for more information.

Can a space be held and reassigned following the departure of an employee who had parking?

Departments have 30 days after the employee’s departure to reassign the parking space, not the date the assignment was terminated. If it is not reassigned within 30 days of an employee’s departure, it will return to State Parking’s inventory for reallocation.



What is the GoPass program?

The popular GoPass is returning as part of a pilot program associated with NCDOT’s Fortify project, which will completely rebuild 11.5 miles of I-40/440 in Raleigh. By making GoPass available to eligible state employees, NCDOT hopes to help take 30,000 vehicles off the interstates to improve traffic flow while construction is underway. The GoPass provides eligible employees with access to all transit agencies in the Triangle (TTA, CAT, DATA, C-Tran, Chapel Hill Transit) to commute to and from their place of employment.

Who qualifies for a GoPass?

Permanent, full-time state government employees who work in Wake County. The following types of individuals do not qualify: elected officials, interns, pages, temporary and contract employees, retirees, and employees who are not eligible to participate in the State retirement system.

How do I obtain a GoPass?

Complete a GoPass application and bring it to the State Parking Office. There is a $25 administrative fee that must be payroll deducted from an employee’s paycheck. Employees must pick up their passes in person and present a valid State ID. Passes will not be mailed.

What is my department code/number?

You may view search for your department code/number here.

What do I do if I lose my GoPass?

If you lose your GoPass, immediately contact the State Parking Office by phone (984) 236-0190 or by email at You must complete another application to request a replacement and pay a $25 administrative fee.

Can I allow someone else to use my GoPass?

No. GoPasses can only be used by the employee who is issued the pass. Passes may not be transferred, sold or traded. Misuse of a pass will result in the immediate termination of GoPass privileges and the offending employee may be subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination.

When does my GoPass expire?

The expiration date is located on the pass. For each year, GoPasses are active between January 1st and December 31st of the year issued.

Where can I get more information about CAT and TTA bus schedules?

For detailed information regarding bus schedules and routes, visit

Where can I get more information about the DOT Fortify Project?

You can find more information about NCDOT Fortify here.



Where can I park when I wish to visit a downtown state office or a museum?

There are three state-operated visitor lots: Lot 18 is located along Wilmington street between Jones and Edenton streets. Deck 75 is located at 323 Salisbury Street. Deck 77 is located at the corner of Edenton and McDowell streets. Rates are not applied to visitor parking after 5:00 P.M. weekdays and during weekends.

What are visitor parking rates?

View the visitor parking page for current parking rates. Only cash or credit/debit cards are valid forms of payment. Checks are not a valid form of payment. Visitors using department issued hourly or daily passes will be responsible for any amount over the value of the pass.

Where can buses park?

Buses, including 15-passenger vans, should park in the bus lot located at the corner of Blount and Jones streets. No cars or trucks are allowed in this lot. Chaperones accompanying buses should park their vehicles in one of the visitor lots.